Nicola Monopoli: Electroacoustic Music
Name: Nicola Monopoli
Where do you live / work: Barletta, Italy
Personal Website: www.myspace.com/nicolamonopoli
What makes these manipulations your favourite?
The possibility to develop a sound and create a piece starting from a little variety of sounds. For example to take 10 vocal samples of 10 seconds each and create a 10 minutes piece from them (with a lot of different sounds). Also is very nice to be able to generate sounds that are very very different from the sampled sound.
1. How would you describe the type of music that you make?
Electronic Music, exterimental, discovering new sounds.
2. If you had to use the genre categories to describe your music, which would it be?
3. What types of sounds do you like to use when you compose?
I use a lot of vocals. But I also like to record many kinds of sounds to sample (mainly paper, plastic, wood, etc.).
4. What makes these sounds your favourite?
I really like to use vocals. I like to sample vocals because a voice can produce a great variety of different sounds (spoken words, noises, breath, etc.) and is maybe the most expressive and communicating instrument that we have.
5. How do you go about starting or coming up with an idea for a composition? Do you personally use a similar approach each time? Or is it always different?
I usually have a starting idea but the approach can be very different every time.
6. Which composers /musicians are an inspiration to you?
Bach, Purcell, Beethoven, Ligeti, Donatoni.
7. What is it about this music that engages you so much?
It has infinite possibilities of expression and invention.